CFR Engines Inc. Cetane Rating Unit
The CFR F5 Cetane Rating Unit is the globally accepted standard for determining and certifying the ignition quality of diesel fuels. First introduced in 1938, the CFR F5 today continues to be recognized as the industry gold standard for obtaining cetane numbers and against which all other methods are referenced.
ASTM D613: Standard Test Method for Cetane Number of Diesel Fuel Oil
EN ISO 5165: Determination of the Ignition Quality of Diesel Fuels - Cetane Engine Method
Key Design Features
Variable Compression Ratio Cylinder Head
A special cylinder head with pre-chamber and variable compression plug hand-wheel assembly allows for continuous variation of the compression ratio while the unit is operating. The head and cylinder are separate units for ease of maintenance. The compression ratio can be adjusted from 8:1 to 36:1, enabling a full range of diesel fuels to be tested without changing cylinder heads.
The CFR-48 style crankcase combines durability with simplicity of design. All CFR engines use the same cast iron, box-type crankcase, which features removable side doors and gear cover for easy maintenance and repair of critical components.
Fuel Injection System
Indirect fuel injection is provided by an injector paired with a high-pressure pump. Fuel flow rate and injection timing are completely adjustable during engine operation via dial micrometers. Three fuel supply tanks and a special three-way valve permit convenient switching from test fuel samples to reference fuels.
Exhaust Surge Tank System
The CFR cetane rating unit is equipped with a surge or expansion tank that eliminates the resonant pulsations and back pressure that occur in the CFR rating unit’s exhaust lines during operation. Eliminating these variables in the testing process provides consistent and accurate cetane ratings.
Enhanced Digital Cetane Meter
When used with the new XCP digital control panel, the F5 offers enhanced functionality of the digital cetane meter. The system automatically monitors the injection advance and ignition delay, and when these two readings fall within ASTM specifications, the display changes from red to green, indicating to the operator that the ratings can be recorded. This new digital meter eliminates the need for operators to manually watch the readings and calculate whether they are within specifications.
Other Important Features
· Software-integrated Safety Monitoring Systems shut down the engine when any of the following conditions are experienced: facility electrical power loss, low oil pressure, loss of cooling water (overheating of the condenser) or electrical overload of the synchronous/reluctance motor.
· Fuel Flow Safety Shut-Off Solenoid prevents uncontrolled engine over-speed by stopping fuel delivery if electrical power is lost.
· Jacket Coolant Condenser of the thermal syphon, ebullient, recirculating cylinder jacket type. While very simple in design, it maintains constant cylinder water jacket temperature for stable operation.
· Synchronous/Reluctance Motor (three-phase) provides power for starting and absorbs the engine’s output to maintain constant speed during operation.
· Pressure Lubrication is used to lubricate all bearings and critical moving parts. An external oil pump permits access to the main oil supply for filtering, cooling or flow measurement.
XCP Digital Control Panel
The latest generation of CFR cetane rating units combines the easy-to-use features of a digital control panel with the robust engine design that users expect from CFR. The CFR F5 Cetane Rating Unit with XCP Digital Control Panel conforms to ASTM D613 and EN ISO 5165 methods.
The fuel rating process takes a big step forward with the XCP Digital Cetane Panel’s computerized functions and enhanced documentation capabilities. The XCP panel is intuitive and user-friendly, and operators require less training to achieve proficiency. With the XCP panel, the F5 delivers more consistent and reliable test results, accurate data recording, comprehensive report generation, and improved indication of critical operating variables.
XCP Panel: Features & Benefits
· Easy-to-use touch-screen panel interface
· User-friendly software and interface produce consistent and reliable test results from operator-to-operator
· Critical information for each rating is captured and displayed with bold graphics and easy-to-read charts on a monitor
· Graphically generated cetane meter and temperature control system reduce maintenance and servicing of specialized instrumentation
· Automatically generated calculations and data logging
· New digital cetane meter in the software eliminates the need for users to manually average ignition delay and injection advance, as was previously required on the earlier machines. A green light is shown on the screen next to "Injection Advance" and "Ignition Delay" when the readings are stable, making it easier for operators to be consistent in their data.
· Environmentally friendly resistance temperature detectors (RTDs) for management of critical temperature variables
· Handwheel sensor to capture critical data, minimizing operator error in handwheel readings
· Electronic maintenance log of vital maintenance information that is documented for future reference
· On-screen reports, operations and maintenance manuals for easy access
· Built-in diagnostic feature provides a way to troubleshoot the unit when maintenance is needed
E: firstname.lastname@example.org / T: +1 262 501 5998 / F: +1 262 510 0595